Surety Bond Companies In Atlanta Ga | Surety Bond Business Loan
License Requirements

Washington Contractor License Requirements

To do construction work in Washington a contractor or company must register with the Washington Department of Labor and Industries.

General Contractor

  • Post a $12,000 bond.
  • $50,000 of property damage insurance
  • IRS employer account number
  • Employment security number
  • Industrial insurance number
  • State revenue tax number

Specialty Contractor

  • Post a $6,000 bond
  • $50,000 of property damage insurance
  • IRS employer account number
  • Employment security number
  • Industrial insurance number
  • State revenue tax number

These are the trades available. A specialty contractor can register in only two (2) trades.

  • Acoustical
  • Ornamental/metals
  • Air conditioning
  • Overhead/garage doors
  • Appliances/equipment
  • Painting/wall covering
  • Asbestos
  • Paving/striping
  • Awnings/canopies/carports/patio coverings
  • Plastering
  • Boiler/steam fitting/process piping
  • Plumbing
  • Cabinet and millwork
  • Pressure washing
  • Carpentry/framing
  • Resilient floor/countertop materials plastic finish/masonite
  • Carpet laying
  • Ceramic/plastic/metal file
  • Roofing
  • Commercial/industrial/refrigeration
  • Sanitation systems
  • Concrete
  • Seal coating
  • Demolition
  • Service station equipment
  • Drywall
  • Sheet metal
  • Elevator
  • Siding
  • Excavating/grading
  • Signs (nonelectrical)
  • Fencing
  • Steel/aluminum erectors
  • Fire protection system
  • Steel reinforcing/bar/wire mesh
  • Glazing/glass
  • Structural pest control/repair
  • Gunite
  • Swimming pools/service/repair
  • Gutters/downspouts
  • Tanks/tank renovating
  • House moving
  • Venetian blinds/shades/drapes
  • Hydraulic installation/repair
  • Warm air venting/ventilation/evap. cooling
  • Institutional/equip./stationary furniture/lab
  • Water conditioning equipment
  • tables/lockers
  • Waterproofing
  • Insulation
  • Weatherstripping
  • Irrigation/sprinkling system
  • Welding
  • Landscaping
  • Well drilling
  • Lathing
  • Wood floor laying/finishing
  • Machinery
  • Wood stove installation
  • Masonry
  • Mobile home setup
  • Other

Electrical Contractor License

The Department of Labor and Industries issues two (2) licenses:

General Journeyman

  • Four (4) years of electrical installation experience with a minimum of two (2) years in new commercial/industrial electrical installation


  • Proof of two (2) years experience in that specialty
  • Residential, pump and irrigation, signs, limited energy, HVAC/refrigeration limited energy, non-residential maintenance, non-residential lighting maintenance, door/gate systems

Electrical Contractor License Exams

  • General Journeyman Electrician
  • Residential
  • Pump and Irrigation
  • Domestic Well
  • Signs
  • Limited Energy System
  • HVAC/Refrigeration Limited Energy System
  • Non-Residential Maintenance
  • Non-Residential Lighting Maintenance/Retrofit
  • Residential Maintenance
  • Door, Gate and Similar Systems

Electrical Administrator's License

General Journeyman

  • All types of electrical installations


  • General eletrical, residential, pump and irrigation, domestic well, sign, limited energy, HVAC/Refrigeration limited energy system, HVAC/Refrigeration restricted administrator, non-residential maintenance, non-residential lighting maintenance, residential maintenance, restricted non-residential maintenance, appliance repair, equipment repair, door/gate and similar systems, telecommunications

Administrator Exams

  • General Electrical Administrator
  • Residential Electrical Administrator
  • Pump And Irrigation Administrator
  • Domestic Well Administrator
  • Sign Electrical Administrator
  • Limited Energy Electrical Administrator
  • HVAC/Refrigeration Limited Energy System Administrator
  • HVAC/Refrigeration Restricted Administrator
  • Non-Residential Maintenance Electrical Administrator
  • Non-Residential Lighting Maintenance/Retrofit Administrator
  • Residential Maintenance Electrical Administrator
  • Restricted Non-Residential Maintenance Administrator
  • Appliance Repair Administrator
  • Equipment Repair Administrator
  • Telecommunications Administrator
  • Door Gate and Similar Systems Electrical Administrator

Consumers are advised to check for additional local municipal contractor license requirements as contractor laws can differ from county to county. It is also advised to double check with the state's requirements before hiring a contractor.

comments powered by Disqus

Need help designing or revovating your home? Post your project and get free estimates from top-rated pros.

Click here to get started - It's Free!
Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.