Nevada Contractor License Bonds
Nevada Contractor License Bond Information
Nevada contractors are required to post a surety bond as mandated by the Nevada State Contractors' Board. The bond amount will vary based on applicant's license type, financial position, monetary limit, experience and character. Applicants should determine the specific bond amount required by the state prior to submitting a quote request in order for Surety Bonds Direct to provide an accurate bond price quote. Note that Surety Bonds Direct completes all required bond forms on behalf of our customers.
How Much Does a Contractor License Bond Cost in Nevada?
Bond Amount Varies
Bonds up to $25,000
1-Year Bond Starts at $100.00
1% of the Bond Amount
2-Year Bond Starts at $175.00
1.75% of the Bond Amount
What does a Contractor License Bond Protect Against?
The bond protects project owners, suppliers, employees and consumers in the state of Nevada in the event that the contractor violates licensing guidelines defined in Chapter 624, Nevada Revised Statutes. Harmed parties may submit a valid claim against the bond for damages incurred.
The following are common reasons for a valid claim against the bond.
- Damage to owner related to contractor's failure to perform contract or remove liens filed against property
- Violations committed against employees of the contractor providing labor in the area of the construction site
- Losses by suppliers furnishing materials or equipment related to the contract that were caused by contractor’s non-compliance.
- Injuries to others due to unlawful acts or omissions by the contractor
Getting Your Nevada Business License or Registration
Following are the general steps that must be completed to receive your license.
- Obtain and complete an Application for a Contractor’s License in its entirety. Form may be obtained from any office of the Nevada State Contractors Board or via the Nevada State Contractors Board Web site, www.nscb.state.nv.us.
- Submit the application, the processing fee, and all required documents to either office the Nevada State Contractors Board. Important note from the Contractors Board: Do not submit a surety bond with your application. Upon successful completion of your examination and/or approval of your application, you will be given your specific bond amount required. You must submit ALL required documents together to avoid delays. Your license will not be issued until all requirements have been met.
- Once your application is approved, you will submit the license fee, surety license bond in the amount indicated in your approval letter, and other requirements as outlined by the Contractors' Board.
Other Helpful Information and Links
All contractor's issued licenses in the State of Nevada are required to a contractor license surety bond. The bond amount is determined by the Nevada State Contractors Board and the bond amount varies from $1,000 to $500,000. The Board sets the bond amount based on the type of license requested, monetary limit granted, financial responsibility, experience, and the character of the applicant. Once approved, the applicant will receive notification regarding the amount of bond required.
A surety bond or a cash deposit can be submitted to satisfy the requirement. Surety Bonds Direct is a fully licensed and authorized agent for issuing contractor license bonds in Nevada and all of our surety company partners are authorized to transact business in the State of Nevada, and have long-term obligations rated "A" or better. The bond is effective for a 2-year period unless canceled by the surety company. In order to effect cancelation, the surety company must provide 60 days advance written notice to the State Contractors' Board.