Surety Bond Of The Pacific | Surety Bond Cash BondSkip Navigation

South Carolina Motor Vehicle Dealer and Wholesaler Bond

South Carolina Motor Vehicle Dealer and Wholesaler Bond

Get Your Free Quote

Who Requires the Motor Vehicle Dealer and Wholesaler Bond and Why Is It Needed?

Salesman. Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond for auto dealers or others who buy, sell, auction, or repair cars or other motor vehicles.

Motor vehicle dealers and wholesalers in the state are required to post surety bonds by the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. A surety bond in the amount of $15,000 must be posted by wholesale auto auction, travel trailer and/or motorcycle dealers or wholesalers. A surety bond in the amount of $30,000 bond must be posted by all other dealers and/or wholesalers.

How Much Will My Surety Bond Cost?

Take 2 minutes to provide the basic information required to get the best rates for your South Carolina Motor Vehicle Dealer and Wholesaler Bond. The quote request is free and there is no obligation to you. If you prefer, please call 1‐800‐608‐9950 to speak with one of our friendly bond experts. We can help guide you through the bonding process and identify the lowest cost in the market for your situation.

If you are interested in spreading out the cost of your bond over time, we can offer convenient financing plans for many types of surety bonds. More information will be provided with your quote.

What Does the Bond Protect Against?

The surety bond ensures motor vehicle and wholesalers dealers comply with the provisions of Title 56 of the South Carolina Code of Laws relating to the sale and transfer of motor vehicle dealers in the state. Potential violations include by fraud, fraudulent representation or non-compliance with the provisions of Title 56 of the South Carolina Code of Laws. Any party who is harmed by the actions of the bonded principal, its salespeople, or representatives acting on its behalf may file a claim against the bond.

The bond is continuous in nature and does not automatically expire without a written cancelation notice to the Department of Motor Vehicles. In order to effect cancelation, a 30 day written notice is required by the surety company. 

What is Needed to Obtain My License or Registration?

The following is an overview of key South Carolina motor vehicle dealer licensing requirements.

  • Form DLA-1 Application for a Dealer or Wholesaler License
  • Diagram of your location to include building and display area (if applicable)
  • Form DLA-1b Motor Vehicle Dealer and Wholesaler Surety Bond with Power of Attorney in the amount of $15,000 or $30,000 (Surety Bonds Direct provides the power of attorney with your bond)
  • Current proof of garage liability insurance (if applying for dealer demonstration plates)
  • Copy of SC Department of Revenue Retail License (if applicable)
  • Form AD-020 Affidavit of Eligibility for each owner owning 10% or more of the business
  • SLED Criminal History report for each owner owning 10% or more of the business. Report cannot be more than 90 days old
  • Additional items may be needed and exact requirements may vary based on applicant, license type or obligee discretion. Please see obligee and state links in the Other Helpful Information and Links section below or contact the obligee directly for more information.


List of South Carolina surety bonds.

BBB A+ Rating
SSL site seal - click to verify